Despite the fact that Washington has won eleven of its last 13 preseason games, the experts like Cleveland plus the points in tonight’s lone NFL contest. The technical analysis strongly favors Cleveland tonight:
- Week Two NFL preseason underdogs off a loss are 72-33-2 ATS (68.6%) since 2000;
- Week Two NFL preseason favorites off a win are 46-62-1 ATS (42.5%) since 2000;
- Week Two NFL preseason teams off a loss are 70-42-1 ATS (62.5%) when matched up against an opponent off a win;
- NFL preseason home favorites off a win by seventeen or more points are 47-72 ATS since 1983;
- Monday Night Football preseason teams off a win are 5-24 ATS when matched up against an opponent with a losing record.
We also like to bet on certain winless preseason teams in Week 2 if they are matched up against an undefeated opponent as these squads are a profitable 66-24 ATS (73.3%), including a near-perfect 31-3 ATS (91.2%) since 2004. This system contains two additional parameters that will remain for our expert’s eyes only.
Cleveland head coach Mike Pettine has indicated that he will play his starters for approximately one half, with both Brian Hoyer and Johnny Manziel getting proportionate snaps with the first-team offense. Pettine also said that he would consult with Washington head coach Jay Gruden to help ensure that neither Manziel or Hoyer gets a disproportionate number of snaps against backups. Coach Gruden has indicated that his starters would play approximately one quarter.
The quarterback competition between Hoyer and Manziel is excellent news for Cleveland bettors as both players will put forth their best efforts tonight, especially in light of the fact that coach Pettine has announced that he will be naming the starter on Tuesday. Finally, Cleveland’s defense welcomes back cornerback Justin Gilbert, who is over a nagging groin injury that caused him to miss the team’s preseason opener at Detroit. Gilbert was Cleveland’s 8th overall selection in this year’s NFL draft, and his presence on the field immediately upgrades the Browns’ secondary.
Pro Edge Sports likes Cleveland +3 (-120) tonight.