With college football less than two weeks away, the experts at Pro Edge Sports wanted to provide sports bettors with a list of the most improved teams in nation. Please find below the Top 3 most improved teams in college football.
1. Florida Gators
- Florida’s success will be predicated upon its defense, which is led by one of the best defensive ends in college football in Jonathan Bullard;
- Despite losing two safeties to the NFL (Loucheiz Purifoy and Marcus Roberson), the Gators still field one of the elite secondaries in the nation;
- Florida’s offense will be vastly improved with the return of starting quarterback Jeff Driskel, who we believe is one of the most underrated leaders in college football;
- Florida made excellent hires during the off-season by bring in offensive coordinator Kurt Roper and special teams coach Coleman Hutzler, both of whom will improve their respective units significantly from last season.
2. Air Force Falcons
- Head coach Troy Calhoun welcomes back sixteen starters from last year’s disappointing squad, making the Falcons one of the most experienced teams in college football;
- The defense fields one of the most improved groups of linebackers in the nation as eight players who saw significant action last season return in 2014;
- Air Force also fields its most experienced and talented defensive line in the last five years, and we expect improved numbers from this unit in 2014;
- Injuries defined the quarterback position for the Falcons last year, but the return of Nate Romine brings much-needed stability and experience behind center.
3. Iowa Hawkeyes
- The success of Iowa’s offense will be determined by the performance of running back Mark Weisman, who averaged 4.3 yards per rush attempt last season and returns with the rest of last year’s backfield;
- Quarterback Jake Ruddock returns after throwing for 2,383 yards (59.0%; 18-13 ratio) last season and should improve upon those numbers in 2014;
- Iowa’s strength is found in the trenches as the Hawkeyes field both an outstanding offensive line and defensive line;
- Iowa benefits from getting to play Nebraska, Wisconsin and Northwestern at home, and the Hawkeyes also have one of the best head coaches in Kirk Ferentz.
Sports bettors should keep an eye on the above three teams as they will most likely provide excellent point spread value during the first several weeks of the 2014-2015 season. Other improved teams include: TCU, Nevada, Memphis, Tennessee, Akron and Army.
The handicappers at Pro Edge Sports also believe the following teams are flying under-the-radar: Houston, Louisiana Tech, Indiana, North Carolina, Mississippi, Virginia Tech, Marshall, BYU and Texas.