Despite being 3-0 on the season, Georgia Tech continues to fly under-the-radar with one of the best offenses in college football. The Yellow Jackets are averaging 45.3 points per game on 345 rushing yards (5.7 yards per carry), 139 passing yards (10.7 yards per pass attempt) and 485 total yards (6.6 yards per play; 10.7 yards per point).
Georgia Tech’s Offense in 2013:
- 0.2 yards per rush play better than average;
- 1.6 yards per pass attempt better than average;
- 0.1 yards per play better than average
- 0.2 yards per point better than average
However, the most startling improvement this season has been with Georgia Tech’s defense under coordinator Ted Roof. Specifically, Roof’s stop unit is limiting opponents to just 11.3 points per game, including 107 rushing yards (3.5 yards per rush play), 168 passing yards (5.5 yards per pass attempt) and 275 total yards (4.5 yards per play; 24.3 yards per point).
Georgia Tech’s Defense in 2013:
- 0.1 yards per rush play better than average
- 1.0 yards per pass attempt better than average
- 0.5 yards per play better than average
The Yellow Jackets host Virginia Tech on Thursday night, and the oddsmakers have installed Georgia Tech as 7-point favorites. While the Hokies are 3-1 this season, they are averaging 12.5 points per game on the road on a putrid 3.8 yards per play. However, Virginia Tech once again fields an elite stop unit that is 1.0 yards per rush attempt, 2.4 yards per pass attempt and 1.8 yards per play better than average in 2013. Here are some technical situations to take into account before placing a wager on this game:
- Virginia Tech is 8-20 ATS over the last three seasons;
- Virginia Tech is 0-6 ATS on the road over the last two seasons;
- Virginia Tech is 4-14 ATS following one or more consecutive wins;
- Georgia Tech is 9-2 ATS versus conference opponents;
- Georgia Tech is 73-42 ATS in the first half of the season
While the experts at Pro Edge Sports Picks have not taken a position on this game, they do believe that Paul Johnson has his best team yet at Georgia Tech. For premium sports picks that have outperformed the investment industry for years, be sure to join Pro Edge Sports and its world-class team of professional handicappers.