The St. Louis Cardinals are 7-1 the last three years when facing postseason elimination, and manager Mike Matheny attributes that success to the groundwork laid during spring training. “We saw it in Pittsburgh, and I anticipate seeing it tomorrow,” Matheny said Tuesday after most players attended an optional workout. “They show up like it’s another — it’s another great day.” The experts at Pro Edge Sports Picks have you covered below with a National League Division Series Betting Preview:
- Gerrit Cole is 11-7 with a 3.14 ERA and 1.13 WHIP this season, including going 5-2 with a 2.28 ERA and 0.87 WHIP on the road, 8-3 with a 2.68 ERA and 1.07 WHIP at night and 4-1 with a 2.82 ERA and 1.22 WHIP versus division opponents;
- Cole is 1-0 with a career 1.50 ERA and 0.50 WHIP versus the Cardinals;
- Adam Wainwright is 20-9 with a 2.90 ERA and 1.05 WHIP in 2013, including going 10-6 with a 2.46 ERA and 0.91 WHIP at home, 10-7 with a 3.25 ERA and 1.103 WHIP at night and 6-4 with a 4.12 ERA and 1.12 WHIP versus division foes;
- Wainwright is 10-4 with a career 4.43 ERA and1.32 WHIP versus the Pirates.
- Pittsburgh relievers own a 2.83 ERA an d 1.15 WHIP this season, including a 3.20 ERA and 1.23 WHIP on the road, a 2.92 ERA and 1.24 WHIP at night, a 2.77 ERA and 1.11 WHIP in the playoffs and a 1.04 ERA and 0.86 WHIP versus division opponents;
- St. Louis relievers boast a 3.42 ERA and 1.23 WHIP in 2013, including a 3.74 ERA and 1.23 WHIP at home, a 3.47 ERA and 1.20 WHIP at night, a 2.45 ERA and 0.99 WHIP in postseason play and a 3.20 ERA and 1.19 WHIP versus division foes.
- Pittsburgh is batting .245 with a .305 on base percentage this season, including hitting .242 with a .303 on base percentage on the road, .241 with a .301 on base percentage versus right-handed starters and .229 with a .301 on base percentage in postseason play. The Pirates are averaging 3.9 runs per game overall;
- The Cardinals are batting .267 with a .326 on base percentage in 2013, including hitting .273 with a .331 on base percentage ay home, .274 with a .333 on base percentage versus right-handed starters and .192 with a .273 on base percentage in the playoffs. Overall, St. Louis is averaging 4.8 runs per game.
These teams have met 23 times this season, with Pittsburgh maintaing a slight 12-11 edge in the series. Adam Wainwright is 5-0 in his last six starts and became the third pitcher in franchise history to twice lead the league in victories. Meanwhile, Pittsburgh starter Gerrit Cole will not be intimidated by the venue. “This is obviously an exciting time, a high-pressure situation, and you know, this is what you prepare for all year,” Cole said. “Yeah, it’s extremely exciting, and I can’t wait.” The experts at Pro Edge have the winner in tonight’s Game 5 – join the service the professionals trust and start earning the second income you deserve.